Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Dam Race

 This race is a fundraiser for Carson's school. I am pretty sure this race is called the Dam Race for more than one reason. It is at the dam, but it has a reputation for terrible weather. A week before, Heather called and said she wanted to come do the race. She brought her teacher friend Breanna. They were crazy! They drove to Rupert to run a race in sustained 20 mph wind with 35 mph gusts! It was cold and hard!
Here we are pre race
 I ran the 10k. I still am not sure why. The first 2.5 miles had a 20 mph headwind. I froze. I just put my head down kept moving forward. I kept telling myself that each step was a step closer to being done. When we turned, I had to lean into the wind to keep myself on the road. Then when it was at my back, I could feel the gusts pushing me faster than my feet wanted to go. I was so relieved when we were done I think the picture says it all. It totally cracks me up!
We celebrated our finish at the taco truck restaurant. Yum! Then Heather headed back home. Then Robbie and I took our kids and went to Twin to celebrate Josalyn's birthday. We ate at our favorite mexican restaurant. YUM again! Nothing like Mexican food twice on Cinco de Mayo!

Even though the weather was terrible, the finish was great. It was also great to do this with my sister. I never thought that we'd do anything like this together. I hope my mom smiling down watching her girls do hard things! I know that I am proud of us! It feels good to feel good! I know Heather feels the same way.

No comments: