Sunday, January 24, 2010

Date Night

Last night, I had a date...not with my husband...with my 4 year old. It was SO fun. We went to Wendy's for dinner and then went to see our little community production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I knew it was risky taking him to this, BUT he loved it! He was still as could be...except his little feet tapping to the music.

As soon as it began, the tears came. I was taken back in time about 11 or so years. I was taken to a time when I went with my mom and dad to see the Donny Osmond verson in Salt Lake. I remember my mom whispering to me when Joseph was in jail (and in only a loin cloth), "I thought I was over him...I'm NOT!" Then, just 3 and a half short years later, I listened to my dad listen to the music all night long...longing for something to keep his mind off losing the love of his life. My heart was full of memories. I couldn't keep the tears back.

Carson was sitting on my lap and noticed that I was crying. He said, "Mom, are you sad?" No, Carson, I am not sad. Carson: "Then why are you crying?" I am just remembering Grandma Elaine. She took me to see this in Salt Lake when I was a girl. I just miss her. Then I got one of the best hugs ever. He is such a good boy with a very tender heart. He could sense my ache and did what he thought would make it better. He could have ignored my feelings, after all, he is 4 and life is all about him, but he didn't.

Now, today is a new day, and that is another memory I have tied to Joseph. I have to smile when I hear Carson singing at the top of his lungs, "Jaaaaaaaacob, Jacob and sons..."

5 comments:

The Bailey's said...

just hearing this makes me cry...Carson is a very sweet boy..we miss him MUCH!

Erin said...

What a sweet memory. It makes me cry too. I can just imagine your MOm whispering she wasn't over Donny. Hee hee.

Alisha Wilkins said...

It was a great night :) So fun!

I heard the "Jo Jo Jo Joseph....." all morning long getting ready :)

P.S. Reading your story about your Mom and then hearing about your Dad listening to the sound track all night made me cry.......

Mindy Stephenson said...

I was excited to find your blog. Sounds like you guys had a fun night. Sometimes the kids know just what to do to make you feel better.

Emily Wilson said...

I love and miss your mom too. She was an amazing woman! Lets just say the fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree :)