This is the story of how I set a goal and actually accomplished it. This NEVER happens. Either I set a goal and change my mind about the result I want, or I give up, or I just don't set goals...how ever it is, I did it...I RAN A HALF MARATHON!!! 13.1 miles...I did it...every step!
So, last spring, I was training for a half, but had a little hiccup in my plans. The half was 3 weeks away, and I found out that I was pregnant...surprise!!! and I got sick...no fun, but it is the best little surprise I have ever had! I wouldn't change a thing. So, I didn't do it.
Fast forward nine months...well, 8 and a half. My dear friend Megan called me. She'd had a baby in September. I was due early Dec. It was mid November. She said, "Court, do you want to do a half marathon with me next summer." Sure...I was glad to have some motivation. Then she called me back a few days later, she said, "I signed up for the SLC half marathon." Sounds great Megs. When is it? "It is on April 15." I was VERY pregnant still and was crazy enough to agree to this.
Now for some women, this wouldn't be too big of a deal, but I always gain 40 pounds or so with each baby. SO, I knew I was going to have to work my butt of to be able to do this. This meant starting to run with a 4 week old baby (totally sleep deprived), running when the temps were in the teens...brrrrrrrr, and really finding the time and energy to do this.
I am proud to say, I DID IT! It was so fun and so exciting. I actually put in the blood, sweat, and tears it took to be able to do it! 13 miles. WOW. For this girl, it is an accomplishment.
My cute little 4 and a half month old baby the morning of...
Here I am at the end...only about half a mile to go. Robbie and Luke were definitely a sight for sore eyes! It seemed like forever since I had seen them!
Running down the center of Gateway mall...to finish!!!
I DID IT!!! I REALLY DID IT!!!
I needed to document how little my baby boy was...TINY!
My cousin Jessica and I. It was so fun to have her there. She is definitely a seasoned runner and had done this race. It helped to take away my nerves a lot! It was also fun to have my mom's sister Deanne there. There were times...like mile 11...when I had been running for 2 miles with blisters....that I kept thinking, "This is hard." Then I would think of my mom and all that she went through. This wasn't hard. This was fun. I had legs that could carry me as far as my mind would let them. It was definitely a celebration of a healthy body. I will NEVER take that for granted.
Megan and I at the restaurant after the run. Thanks Megan!
Here are the blisters I had on every toe...I started feeling them at mile 9. They were killing me by the end. I am still not sure why I got them. I had on good shoes and socks. I guess I was just lucky!
I am so thankful for my darling sister in law, Heather, who kept my bigger boys. They had so much fun and so did I! It is so gratifying to know that I took every step of all the training and all the race. Me. No one else could do it for me. I do have to thank Robbie for all the times he kept the kids so I could run...Thanks Hunny!
Check out cute little Nate on Sunday after naps and dinner. I love the fruit punch mustache and the crazy nap hair. That is my shirt and my medal. Could the shirt be any uglier????? or any bigger???? It was HUGE! But, that was not the real prize, so it doesn't matter. The prize is knowing that I did it, and that I have the support of such a great husband and cute little boys!
1 comment:
Great Job Court!! I hope to get to that point some day, you inspire me. Thank you for all of your support for my race, it meant alot. ♥ I hope you are surviving this week ;)
Post a Comment