Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Very Merry Christmas

This year, like our normal tradition, we went to Grandpa Bob's house for Christmas Eve. This is always a fun way to start of the Christmas holiday. We have had good weather and I had all the presents wrapped. This year I did it by myself...no wait...Erica came and wrapped presents with me for a couple of hours. Getting Christmas ready for these four cute little boys is a lot of work, but it is also so much fun!

At my dad's house, the kids watched the Santa tracker on the computer. Grandpa showed them Santa landing in Australia, Germany, Japan, and many other places around the world. That was just magical! We had a nice Christmas puppet show. Marsha had worked hard to make these cute little puppets at a Relief Society meeting. My dad read the script...complete with a high pitched voice for Mary. The kids sang primary songs. I was nominated the leader, but there was no hope for that group. No one could carry a tune. One thing I have learned being primary chorister is that it doesn't matter what you sing like, just sing! So, I was proud of the traditionally nonsinging Jacksons for singing that night. Carson and Nate sang their very best versions of  When Joseph when to Bethlehem and Stars were Gleaming. Robbie said the kids stole the show! We exchanged gifts and then we had to travel back to Rupert.

With no snow on the roads, we got here in record time. One Christmas we drove 35 the entire way home. Nathan was screaming the entire 4 hours we were on the road. It was NOT fun. This year was different. Then it was onto getting ready for Santa to come.

Breakfast casserole...check. Rolls in freezer...check. Cookies out with milk...check. The presents Robbie bought with my dad on Christmas Eve wrapped...check. Our presents under the tree...check. We were ready for Santa and it was only 11:30.

Christmas truly is magical. At 6 am I woke with a start. "He came! Nate HE came! Wake up! Hurry! WOW! I can't believe this!" Carson was so excited. He rushed out with Nate. Robbie and I came running as fast as we could. It was magical. Their faces were priceless. Carson and Nathan both asked Santa for legos and he brought them...and a little more. Our train table broke 2 days before Christmas, but it was on its last leg for a long time. Our Christmas elf, Mr. Peeps, told Santa about the table breaking, so Santa brought us a new one!



We put Legos together for about 45 minutes until Logan woke up. And Robbie couldn't take it, and he woke up Luke! Logan asked Santa for a "red Thomas the Tank Engine named James". He was thrilled. Lukey was still too little to ask for anything, but when he saw that big pile of Legos, he got crazy eyes! He grabbed 2 hands full of Legos and put them strait into his mouth. Nate tried to get them out. Luke spit them out and tried to bite Nathan! That little baby is going to choke on Legos!

This little baby LOVES candy. I was shocked the first time I gave him a whole big candy cane and he ate it all. He only has 6 teeth! My favorite gift I gave this year was the mugs I made for the boys. They all had 3 pictures on them...one baby, one toddler, and one current. It took me hours to look at the pictures and decide. Robbie said I was taking way too long. He said to just pick. It was too hard. I loved them all. It makes me sad to see how fast time is going.

After presents, Robbie's parents came for breakfast. Then it was the huge race to get ready for church. WOW. The primary kids sang. It was so sweet. I love my calling.

That night Jake and Jodi's family came over along with Robbie's parents. We made prime rib. Mmmmm...it was so yummy. We had such a nice day.

It was really special to have Christmas on Sunday. I loved it. I am so thankful for our Savior and all who were involved that sacred night. This Christmas I have often thought of Mary and Joseph and the sacred responsibility they held. What a great mantle they had placed on them. I know that my little boys are not the Savior, but I am responsible for them. It can be overwhelming at times. Just like Mary and Joseph did, I know where I need to turn for help. Heavenly Father knows them best and how to care for them best. I know if I turn to him for help that these little boys will learn the things they need to.

Anyway, it was a very merry Christmas!

No comments: