Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Remembering...

I had such a fun day on Friday. My cute 88 year old grandma called me and needed a ride to the hospital for some lab work. Then we went and grabbed lunch. We went back to her house and ate. She had stirred up some cinnamon rolls before I came to pick her up. We rolled those out , put them into the over, and then the fun really began.

My sister in law put the bug in my head that someone needed to write my mom's life story. SO, grandma and I got to work. She was remembering my mom as a baby, small girl, teen ager, and adult. We had a tape recorder and reminised for a few hours. It was a wonderful trip down memory lane. It was good for me to remember the funny girl my mom was...after all, she didn't come to earth as a mother. She had a whole lifetime before that. She was a little firey...she had to be with 5 brothers, she was limitless...if she thought about doing something, she did it...never a thought about i can't or what if (excepept when it came to exercise), she was so thoughtful of her mother...I should have taken a lesson there... the list of things we remembered together went on and on...

We soon will have another Friday date...hopefully, minus the hospital trip. It was so soothing to sit at my grandma's kitchen table (a place where nothing has changed for years...so much like...home) and eat delicious cinnamon rolls. It was a day I could relive over and over again.

6 comments:

Erin L said...

that is awesome! I really need to set up a time with my mom to do her life history.

Elise said...

That is so sweet that you got to do that. I did not grow up with a grandma that could cook, my mom is an excellent cook, but my grandma... She is good at other things though ;)

Erin said...

What a sweet day to share with your grandma. I'm sure your Mom was laughing along with you two. Miss you!

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

How fun. Your grandma is such a sweet little lady. I still remember walking in on her while she was changing her clothes. I was so embarrassed, but she reassured me it was okay and to come on in and get what I needed (while she was in her garments). I bet that was an awesome day for you!

The Bailey's said...

oh how cool is that....that is so awesome. I want to be that kind of grandma

Natalie said...

How nice is that? What a fantastic idea. Your grandma is an angel. I'm so glad you're going to write your mom's history. Court, I just admire you so much. Seriously, you always have the best attitude and you are constantly so sweet. I know your mom is proud of you.