Monday, October 26, 2009

Thank you, Mr. Heimlich

Today I was going to post about our wonderful trip to what I call civilization (others may call it Utah). There are so many stores there...and restaurants...and PEOPLE! Robbie and I went down and took Logan. We went to the BYU game...too bad that they played like a bunch of grannies...it was so bad that we had to drowned our sorrow in icecream from Sub Zero...YUM. Anyway, Grandpa and Grandma Jackson did such a good job babysitting that my kids didn't want to come home. I was thrill to come back and have them all be alive, but now that they are in the guardianship of their mother, we had a close call.

Today we had so many places to run. I hate halloween and had to decide what my kids would be. Carson finally persuaded me that he HAD to be a Pirate. SO, we went to DI to see what we could find...I will post pics when they are done. The boys were thrilled that someone had just left their dinosaurs, so for 2 dollars we added 4 to our collection. Then came my worst nightmare...3 kids and me in Walmart and it gets worse...the dollar store...3 places we never go. After 2 hours of shopping, my kids were hungry, so I went into Little Ceasers and got them breadsticks (dripping, literally, in grease).

Nate was still hungry so I gave him a banana to eat on our way home, FINALLY. I had just entered the busiest street in Burley and Nate is making all kids of funny wheezing noises. I look in my mirror and his face was blue and he was difinately choking...now no sounds at all. I slammed on my brakes and got out of the car...careful to not get us both hit by a car...and did the heimlich maneuver...Banana went shooting out of his mouth. Then he started to cry. And a cute nice lady by this time had pulled over and wanted to help. I just hugged and hugged him. Then my shock reaction set in...SWEAT and shaking. By the time I got home, I was drenched. Thank you mister Heimlich for inventing a way to save my cute little blue eyed boy...

12 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds like one hell of a day. Just the shopping would have me crying to go home, but having a choking kid! Way to be the mom of the year. Mr. Heimlich is an amazing tool! Good job Courtney!!

Erin L said...

that sounds crazy! I'm glad everything was okay.

The Bailey's said...

HOLY MOSES....that is NUTS! Poor little natey! Courtney .....you were definetly born to be a mother for boys. Good thing you could see him and saw that he was blue. Girl you have had some close calls lately but you seem to just "sweat" right thru them (literally) I am so glad our little Natey is ok!

Alisha Wilkins said...

How crazy scary! I am so glad he is okay! I can't wait to see the cute costumes you come up with for the kiddos! ;)

Ryan and Krystal said...

Thank goodness for you quick skills! Yikes that is scary. Glad little nate is ok. You have been hanging around your dad too much...he always says...YUM! :)

What are you plans for the Holidays?

Emily Wilson said...

SCARY! You are such a good mom.

Clyde Family said...

I am so sorry. That would be so scary. What a good mom you are. I am so glad to hear everything is ok. way to be a good mom..

Natalie said...

Holy cow! Your quick thinking saves the day! Oh my gosh Court, that is inSANE! You have more crazy stories with your three boys than anyone I know. Seriously, I wonder how many angels in heaven are assigned to watch over little boys.

Anonymous said...

oh man! That is way scary!! Ahhh..I hate when scary stuff like that happens. And why does all the bad stuff happen on already crazy and insane days?!? Sheesh!! And I'm with you...I hate halloween!! :)

Elise said...

So Scary! I have nightmares of that happening while Im driving. I would hope I would know what to do if that kind of thing ever happened to me.

That was a bummer of a game huh? I bet it was nice to get out of town. I'm trying to talk Nate into going down there soon. He says what do we need there? Me: To go shopping. Him: Shopping for what? Ugh men. :) Do we have to have anything in particular to shop for? They just don't understand.

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

All growing up it was always my fear that one of the kids I was babysitting would choke. They never did. However, Bridger has had an ambulance called twice for choking! Once he got a little peice of plastic sack in his mouth and it get blocking his airway off and on, and we couldn't get it up with the heimlich...eventually he swallowed it. The other time he was at Garcia's and choked on a chip. He was probably a year old. I honestly thought he was going to die. Several people, myself included, attempted the heimlich on him and it didn't work. He was without air for so long he started to have a seizure. It was so scary. But once again, he eventually swallowed the chip...it must have softened and eventually went down.

Now my fear isn't about kids I babysit choking, it is about my own! I have however done the heimlich successfully since Yeah!!

(enough of my novel) But I can totally relate! It is so scary when someone we love so much is in trouble!

Katie said...

Wow! I'm so glad you were able to think rationally at that moment! I'm not sure what I would have done. Good job! You're a great mom!