Sunday, May 22, 2011

And we have a 4 year old birthday...

We have been counting down the days until Nathan's 4 year old birthday for a very long time (at least a year). He was so excited. He had preschool on his big day so I had double duty as far as a cake is concerned. He has been asking for a pirate party, but then he changed his mind to a Jesus party. When I asked about decorations he said that we could just use animals and stuff Jesus created. Then I asked about the cake. He said that he still wanted a pirate cake, but "with a good guy named Jesus on it.'' So, we did not have a Jesus party...we had a pirate party complete with exploding cannon balls filled with candy. We had cousins. We had a sleepover with Easton...so fun.

Here is the cupcake treasure map that he took to preschool complete with a compass, volcano, bones parrot treasure chest filled with sand, and a shovel.
 Here is the pirate ship cake... 
 complete with fish and a plank...ARRRRG.
 Nate, Easton and Carson
 Even Luke celebrated
 The big surprise for Nate's birthday was a bike. We have had the bike since Black Friday...thanks to a devoted sister and grandma. It has been in the garage. At Christmas, we told the boys if they looked for presents in the garage, we'd take back what they find. Nate came in from the garage with wide big blue eyes and said, "MOM!!!! MOM!!! I promise I did not see the blue bike you got me for Christmas!" Well, it wasn't for Christmas, so we didn't have to take it back...just saved it for his birthday! He loved it!

 Blowing out candles. SO big!
 That is one happy birthday boy!
So far, 4 has seemed to be a magical age. Nate is so funny. It seems like he is finally able to really express what has been going on in his brain behind those special blue eyes of his. Just a couple of weeks after his birthday, Robbie asked if he was excited for church that day. His response was, "Nope. But I still love Jesus!" He has such a good heart. He tends so gently to Luke. Nate is always singing Lukey songs. Some are prettier than others. His brothers are his best friends. In fact, he would like a few more brothers and no sisters. One of our older nephews was calling Luke "Luke puke." Nate was concerned about this and asked what he should do. I told him next time Tommy said this to nicely say that he didn't like that and to please stop. So, the next time Tommy was here, he said Luke puke. Nate came unglued. "TOMMY, DON'T YOU CALL MY BROTHER THAT. WE DON'T LIKE IT! IT IS NOT NICE!" Poor 7 year old Tommy was in big trouble. These brothers love each other.

Nate is gentle, but so strong and big. He is kind. He is so fun. The kids at school love to play with him. He loves to wrestle anyone. He loves sledding. He hates cleaning his room. He is my buddy. He is my calm, easy going kid. He has always been pure joy. I told him just the other day that the reason he came with blue eyes was the Lord's way of letting me know he was not the same as Carson. From the moment my second son was born, I knew that. I love all my boys and am thankful for their differences. On this 4 year old birthday, I am especially thankful for you, NATE!

No comments: