Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yard work begins...sort of...

We have been waiting for some money to come back from our taxes now for about 6 months. We endured another summer with out grass. BOOO! But, I am so glad to say that our dirt and pokey weed filled summers are over! Yea! We finally got the money we needed. It is a little late for us to plant our grass though. So, first thing in the spring we will do that. Robbie said the other day, "This is going to be a LONG winter. I can't wait to plant grass!" He is right. But, thanks to a lot of hard work and time from my dad, brothers, husband, and kids (sort of), we have sprinklers!!!

Thanks to my friend Alisha who volunteered her husband to haul a lot of dirt in for us! Robbie also got to help. He had to learn to drive a sugar beet truck. So, I guess if dentistry doesn't work out, maybe he can have a job during harvest! Our cute little boys were so excited to have a beet truck come that they couldn't even have naps.
 
One last play on the dirt hill. It was a good dirt hill. Hours and hours of the boys' lives have spend digging. I am surprised they never reach China!
 They were ok with breaking down this one because we promised them a place to play...even when we get grass. You would think the promise of grass would be enough...nope...dirt too!
 Playing in the trenches...

 The hard HOT work. 

 See...it was HOT. Poor Logan! Still in jammies at 6:00 pm...He'd had enough. He was melting.

 Brandon's family came and stayed over night so he could continue working. We had so much fun with them. It was a little crazy when the guys were pouring cement...lots of interested boys to keep out. We only had one accident...Nate stepped on the back step. OOPS! Good thing Brandon (who has a little more patience than my dad or Rob) was there. It was a quick fix with no harm done.

Brandon and Steph left in the late evening on Friday. It was after dark. They had worked so hard. The kids had played so hard. Everyone was tired. So, of course, on the way back to Idaho Falls, they got a flat tire. No fun. They couldn't get the spare off. A nice man stopped to help. After and hour of trying to get the spare off, he (a stranger) offered them his spare if they would just return it. So, off they went home with the help of this nice man.

We did not find out about this for a couple of days. When we did, we found out that they were just by Raft River and the nice man who offered his tire was Brother Steadman...of Steadman's Ranch. I had met him at a ward activity at their place. What a nice man. He really was an answer to Brandon and Steph's prayers.

This has me thinking...would I be willing to help some one...a complete stranger who was in distress? We have been talking a lot about the Good Samaritan in our family. I hope that I would help. I do want to be the answer to some one's prayers because there have certainly been a lot of people who have answered mine!

So, now the real work begins...taking care of a yard. I got so excited that the other day at Costco, I bought 370 tulip bulbs to plant. What was I thinking??? I wasn't!!! 270 have been planted so far, so now, maybe Robbie is right...it is going to be a LONG winter...BUT at least there is the promise of grass AND tulips in the spring!

No comments: