I couldn't stop thinking about this dream! So, I called Grandma and asked her if she would come teach me how to make them. She agreed. She told me what I needed to have ready: bone in ham, homemade bread (can be store bought she said, but she likes homemade better), and homemade noodles.
I worked and got everything ready. The day I was going to get her, she was sick with the stomach flu. I think that there should be an exemption..if you are over 90 years old, you are immune. I felt so bad for her! So, we rescheduled for a week later.
That day, Logan was definitely on one. On the way there, he kept telling me, "When Grandma Great gets in the car, I am going to scare her. ROOOAAAR!" Then when we picked her up, he ran back to the car and got in and said, "Beat you, Grandma!" I guess that was better than scaring her! After we were home she said, "My Logan, you have such handsome brown eyes." He replied, "They not brown. They blue." She got a chuckle out of that. The big boys were a little excited too. Right when we got out of the car they were instantly sword fighting. I was about ready to kill them. I got after them. Maybe I was a little sharp. Grandma said, "Oh honey, the are just little boys! Don't get after them. This is what little boys do!" She is so sweet and wise and right!
We had a delightful time together cooking and talking. It was a treasured day. She was a good teacher. Here is what you do:
Dice ham and boil it with the bone.
Make homemade egg noodles
Dice up homemade bread.
Add noodles to ham and broth. Cook until tender.
Add bread cubes to soak up liquid. May need to drain some before adding bread.
Now here is where it really gets good! Add butter to frying pan. Get butter hot.
Add noodles and brown.
Serve noodles with applesauce. Mmmmm. It was just as good as my dream. She told me of her father's stepmother that used to make these, but with out the ham. Grandma decided that ham would make it better, and she was right! They were so good.
We took her home via Dairy Queen. She got her standard: twist cone. She is such a delight. I hope if I am ever 90 years old that I can be a sweet as she is! I love and cherish her. She made my dream come true!
The next day, my friend Karrie came over. She made some fried cabbage that her Grandma used to make. We ate leftover noodles and cabbage and talked about what our legacy may be with our families. I am not sure what it will be, but I hope I can be as precious to my grandchildren as my grandma is to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment